I am a sucker for a great salad and I love creating my own! After hearing about edible flowers while watching a cooking show on the food network, I had to investigate and experiment! These amazingly tasty, colorful and decorative edibles are also nutritious add ons! Edible flowers, and I emphasize the EDIBLE! (PLEASE, PLEASE do not just pick random pretty flowers because as many species can be toxic) can provide you with vitamins A and C and the greens are high in calcium, iron and phosphorous!
Here’s my creation…
How to DIY:
• Your favorite mixed greens (spinach, kale, arugula & romaine)
• Hard boiled eggs (3) (for added protein)
• Edible flowers of your choice (you can find these at your nearest health food grocery store) DRESSING:
• 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 5-6 Tbsp red wine vinegar
• 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• Pepper to taste
• 2-3 pinches of oregano
Mix well and pour over the top of your colorful, healthy and delicious salad!